This morning, the Verizon IndyCar Series announced their schedule for the 2016 season. Highlights include an earlier start date of March 13th and a later end date of September 18th, the 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500, a return to Road America and Phoenix, as well as the inaugural run on the streets of Boston over Labor Day Weekend.
For me personally, I have to be honest and tell you I am disappointed in the fact that there are no longer any true night races. Iowa was one of my favorites under the lights and while it will still be evening for the Texas race in June, it won’t be truly dark until the end of the race.
All in all, I’m pleased with this schedule format and looking forward to another year of the best racing on the planet – I look forward to seeing as many of you at the track as possible… time to start booking those travel arrangements!
Further details and points of interest outlined by IndyCar this morning:
- INDYCAR has experienced a 38 percent growth in both television ratings and viewership over the past two years with longstanding TV partners ABC and NBCSN and the 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series season is poised to capitalize and build upon that momentum.
- The most diverse schedule in motorsports features five races on oval tracks, five on permanent road courses and six on temporary street circuits.
- ABC will broadcast five races in 2016, including the season-opening Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg that kicks off the season two weeks earlier than last year. ABC will blanket Month of May coverage at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, broadcasting the Angie’s List Grand Prix of Indianapolis on May 14, Indianapolis 500 qualifications May 21-22 and the eagerly anticipated 100th Indianapolis 500 on May 29.
- NBCSN returns as INDYCAR’s television partner for the eighth straight season in 2016 and will telecast 11 races, starting with the return to Phoenix International Raceway on the night of April 2. The one-mile oval hosted 61 Indy car races from 1964-2005. NBCSN will also telecast the 42nd annual Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach on April 17and the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama from Barber Motorsports Park on April 24. Following ABC’s coverage in May and early June, NBCSN returns to telecast the final eight races of the 2016 season.
- In addition to coverage from ABC and NBCSN, all Verizon IndyCar Series races can be heard on the Advance Auto Parts INDYCAR Radio Network, available through network affiliates, SiriusXM Satellite Radio, the Verizon INDYCAR app and IndyCar.com.
“Overall, the 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series schedule is another key step forward in INDYCAR’s strategic vision,” said Mark Miles, CEO of Hulman & Company, the parent of INDYCAR and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. “We’re confident that the momentum that INDYCAR has experienced in fan engagement over the past two seasons will continue as a result of the tireless efforts of our event promoters and our improved scheduling on ABC and NBCSN.”
So here you go, fans… make sure you mark your calendars with all this awesome!
The 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series Schedule:
Sunday, March 13 – Streets of St. Petersburg – ABC – 12:30 p.m. ET
Saturday, April 2 – Phoenix International Raceway – NBCSN – 8:00 p.m. ET
Sunday, April 17 – Streets of Long Beach – NBCSN – 4:00 p.m. ET
Sunday, April 24 – Barber Motorsports Park – NBCSN – 3:00 p.m. ET
Saturday, May 14 – Grand Prix of Indianapolis – ABC – 3:30 p.m. ET
Sunday, May 29 – Indianapolis 500 – ABC – 11:00 a.m. ET
Saturday, June 4 – Raceway at Belle Isle Park – ABC – 3:30 p.m. ET
Sunday, June 5 – Raceway at Belle Isle Park – ABC – 3:30 p.m. ET
Saturday, June 11 – Texas Motor Speedway – NBCSN – 8:00 p.m. ET
Sunday, June 26 – Road America – NBCSN – 12:30 p.m. ET
Sunday, July 10 – Iowa Speedway – NBCSN – 5:00 p.m. ET
Sunday, July 17 – Streets of Toronto – NBCSN – 3:00 p.m. ET
Sunday, July 31 – Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course – NBCSN – 2:00 p.m. ET
Sunday, Aug. 21 – Pocono Raceway – NBCSN – 3:00 p.m. ET
Sunday, Sept. 4 – Streets of Boston – NBCSN – 2:00 p.m. ET
Sunday, Sept. 18 – Sonoma Raceway – NBCSN – 7 p.m. ET
Are you connecting with us on social media? Follow the links below to like & follow: